Review: simplehuman Semi-Round Stainless Steel Trash Can
simplehuman was kind enough to send us their new semi-round stainless steel trash can to review. We currently have a round stainless steel trash can but have always been rather unhappy with it. We just reviewed the simplehuman paper towel holder and it fixed many of the issues we had with our old one. What will the simplehuman semi-round trash can do to improve our lives?
Our current stainless steel can has the following problems:
- Lid doesn't stay up when you push the pedal. You can sit there and hold it with your foot and it flops up and down as you try and throw stuff away.
- The bags never fit inside the can it it just looks unsightly with them overflowing the lid area.
- The can just isn't big enough and the inside container always is coming out when you change bags because it has some handle we never use.
- The lid is also stainless steel. You'd think this would be great, but because it endures lots of moisture underneath it has rust inside the lid. Yuck! The lid also is very heavy to use with the pedal because it's made of stainless steel.
- Our current can just isn't ideal for the kitchen space we have to allocate to it. It's round but doesn't fit flush to the wall and the lid is always banging the side of the fridge enclosure.
The simplehuman semi-round trash can has none of these issues. First off the lid can either stay open or snap close with a touch of your foot when you use it. It's also not stainless steel and this makes it lighter to flip up when you want to throw something away.
Secondly the bags fit inside the can. You can buy the simplehuman trash bags, but we found our standard trash bags to fit inside with no over hang as well. There is a round "grabby" thing in the back of the inner trash can that allows you to take up the slack of the trash bag, and thus ensures a perfect fit every time.
This can is also big and roomy. With a few days of trash, we simply can't fill up the simplehuman can. Also the shape of the can with a flat edge makes it easier somehow to stuff more and more stuf inside the can. Things tend to just fit inside a little better.
The simplehuman semi-round stainless steel trash can has a plastic/rubber lid. This makes cleaning it up a breeze and there's no yucky rust. We also like the fact it's lighter and doesn't "CLANK" when closed. After you hear your 50th plus "CLANK!!!" when cooking it will really make you appreciate no having a stainless steel lid.
And finally the shape of the can makes for a better use of space. Since you can sit the can flush against the wall, you get more room in the can area and it just looks better in the space.
We love the simplehuman semi-round stainless steel trash can. The wide access pedal, flat back edge, slim fit for trash bags, and the general aesthetic make is a perfect trash can.
Read More in: Trash Cans & Compost
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Kitchen Contraptions for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at September 13, 2005 7:45 AM